Image Map

Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Time of Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving.
 
It rolls around every year.
 
And I can honestly say it's the holiday I am the least thrilled for.
 
Everyone's all excited for turkey and pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce. Me? I'm sitting off to one side saying "did anyone make chicken???"
 
Society has taken Thanksgiving and turned it into this massive turkey-fest and it seems like that's all anyone cares about.
 
Well, I don't like turkey and I think Thanksgiving is about so much more. And we need to remember that each year. And we need to pay attention to that each year. And we need to teach our children that Thanksgiving isn't about the food.
 
 
I believe in being thankful. To God, to the people who surround me and for the many blessings bestowed upon me in this world and in my life. And I want to share what I am most thankful for with all of you. Because blessings are meant to be shared. We are meant to be open and honest. We are meant to pay it forward and show kindness to one another. We are meant to be thankful for the life we have been given.

 
 
So before you go and enjoy your turkey dinner.....
 
This year I am thankful for many things. And it's hard to even figure out where to begin. So I'm just going to pick a point and start. There is no particular order or preference to any of what I am about to say. It's just coming from the heart and the mind and being translated to pen and paper (...keyboard and computer screen...) as it enters my thoughts.
 
Family.
Every year, every day, I am thankful for my family. They are the people I lean on, depend on and hold onto when I need love, support, kindness, energy and strength. My family is my rock, my shoulder to cry on, my entire world. They mean everything to me and I only wish I could put into words just how much I appreciate each and every single one of them. They are here for me in ways no one else can even begin to imagine. They push me through struggles and they help me see the light at the end of the tunnel. They guide me through life and have helped to shape the path I walk now. I owe my life to them.
 
Kaley.
I am incredibly thankful for Kaley. She came into my life maybe before I was old enough to truly appreciate the miracle that she is, but as I grow older I am realizing it more and more each day. Kaley has given me a sense of purpose in life. She's given me reason to work towards things I was never sure I would achieve or that I never thought possible. She inspires me and motivates me and keeps me moving forward. I wouldn't be even half the woman I am today if I didn't have my beautiful daughter to push me through the hard times and the frustration and the craziness of my chaotic life.
 
Friends.
Honestly, I am the first to say I have very few friends. True friends that I could tell anything to? I have three. My sister, my absolute best friend in the world and my first real friend in NC. And unfortunately none of them live anywhere near me. But regardless of where we are or what is going on, I know that I can count on them. I know that if I pick up the phone and dial that number, they will answer. And if they can't because they're busy? They'll text me or call me back. They never disappoint me, ever. They never let me down. It's truly a gift to have such amazing friends and I feel so incredibly lucky to have three because I know that there are people in this world who have no one.
 
Patrick.
My fiancé. Of course I'm thankful for him! He came into my life completely unexpectedly. I wasn't looking for a relationship. I wasn't looking for my forever. But I found him. All because I decided to go out for the first time in, oh, six months or so? I am so happy I decided to go sing karaoke that night. It was more worth it than I could have ever imagined. He's an amazing man, a wonderful role model to Kaley and an inspiration to myself and so many others. I am honored that he chose me to be his always and forever. I am going to love him to infinity and beyond!
 
Work.
Yeah, I know. I have a tendency to complain about my job from time to time. But I do love it and I am very thankful to have it. The people I work with have become like a second family to me. They're wonderful and supportive and understanding. And the kids I get to work with every day are amazing and I love each and every one of them. They are definitely a challenge and I have to work hard every day to make sure we accomplish what we need to, but it's worth it. At the end of the day, it's all worth it just to see the light bulb click on and the smile cross their face. It's an amazing feeling to know that, even for just a moment, I made a difference in a child's life.
 
Health.
I'm not a poster child for perfect health. Not now, not ever. But I am thankful for my health. I haven't faced more than a bad cold or a stomach bug in years. I know I'm not the most fit person in the world, but I am thankful that I am physically capable of becoming fit again. I am thankful to have full use of my limbs and full range of motion to become stronger and fight through the pain. I am thankful I can run and I can lift weights and work out without fear of permanently injuring myself.
 
God. Faith.
I can't even begin to express how lucky I am to have been raised with faith and how thankful I am to still have my faith to fall back on. I know I'm not the perfect little Catholic girl. I've never claimed to be. And I will fully admit that there are some theories in the Catholic church that I don't entirely agree with and sometimes I am very open about that. But I always have God. I always have the vision of my head from a guided reflection experience with the deacon. I always have the comfort of knowing I am loved and cared for and that God will guide me towards his purpose for me. God will not abandon me or neglect me. He is here for me. Always. No matter what. And I am going to praise Him and give thanks to Him forever.
 
Blogging.
Weird? Maybe. But I am thankful for the outlet it provides me with. I am thankful for the readers who have identified with the words I've written and reached out to me. I am thankful for the opportunity to put pen to paper (...fingers to keyboard...) and put what I feel right out there. I am thankful that I can share my thoughts with so many amazing people. I am thankful for the people I have met, both virtually and in person, through the blogging community. 
 
There are a great many more things I am thankful for, but I would be here all day if I explained each of them, so I'll end with a brief list of the remaining things I am thankful for.
 
Music
Books
Love
School
Home
Nature
My Dogs
Stability
Dreams
Dedication
 
What are you thankful for this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...