Image Map

Monday, July 29, 2013

Franklin Park Zoo [Boston]

If you've just started reading about our vacation, don't start here. Go back to the beginning and read them in order. Trust me, it will all be better in the end if you read from the start. And if you're behind, don't worry. You can catch up pretty quickly. Just follow the links below.

 
Alright, now I can talk about our last day in Boston, our last morning at the campground, and our visit to the Franklin Park Zoo. The morning started off slow. We woke up pretty early in the morning, but our entire site was in disarray. It had been late when we got back the night before and there was no packing happening after such a long day. Plus it was dark and I didn't want to pack with a flashlight.
 
That morning they were having a French Toast breakfast at the campground. It was quick and easy, so we headed out to meet some new friends for breakfast and to let KBug and their daughter play on the playground for a little while. The girls had a blast, and didn't want to leave when we told them it was time to go. V literally stood there while we walked away and didn't join us until we were almost out of sight. She and KBug were fast friends and it was adorable watching them play, but heartbreaking watching them say goodbye and give each other hugs.
 



 
After our long goodbyes, we wandered back to our campsite. Mr. Boston and I set out packing our belongings, breaking down the tent and being creative in putting everything back in the car. It was interesting and annoying, but we managed to get it all in and we set off for the zoo!
 
Again, I was smart. I checked ahead of time and we were able to get into the zoo for half price because of our membership at the NC Aquariums down here. Awesome? I think so! We made our way in and decided our first stop couldn't be anything other than a bathroom. So off we went. We managed to find one pretty close to the entrance and went on from there.
 
The first few exhibits we saw were pretty boring. The gorillas were all sleeping. How dare they be sleeping when we come to see them! We asked a member of the zoo staff if they would be awake at any point and they explained that they were sleeping in preparation for their lunch. We were told that they would likely be awake in an hour or so after they had been fed. We were also informed that the majority of the animals in that particular area would be sleeping and decided we would walk through, but then come back again later.
 




 
 
We continued on through the exhibits, seeing all that we could see. When we came around to the zebras and giraffes, one of Mr. Boston's step brothers joined us! He recently spent some time in the hospital and was in some pain, but he really wanted to see Mr. Boston and meet KBug and I so he joined us for the day. KBug was more than willing to slow down a bit for him and I thought it was really sweet of her to be so understanding.
 








 
 
We kept wandering around, going through the "Franklin Park Farm" and checking out the amazing playground they have in the middle of the zoo. Seriously, that park was awesome! I almost climbed up to play with KBug, but decided against it. She was off having fun and I didn't want to intrude on her good time.
 
After a couple of hours we made it through the entire zoo, and even remembered to go back to see if the gorillas were awake. I was so excited because we made it around to their exhibit and I was able to get some really great pictures of them! Plus I love seeing the gorillas... And I really wanted to watch Tarzan...
 


 
Now, most zoos and parks and such have gift shops at the entrances. This one was in the middle. So once we made it all the way back to the entrance, we had to walk all the way back to the middle for the gift shop. Honestly, I didn't have a problem with it because I'd spent our vacation locating AR books for KBug and I wanted to see if I could find another one. So KBug and I headed to the gift shop while Mr. Boston and his brother headed for the car as they were both in pain from the amount of walking we had done.
 
KBug and I had a successful visit to the gift shop. She was able to find a small toy and I found another AR book! Go me! I think that was the best part of our vacation for me. I love finding books that will challenge her.
 
Once we made it back to the car we said our goodbyes to Mr. Boston's brother. We also said our goodbyes to Boston. And with that we were on our way to our next adventure in Philadelphia!

1 comment:

  1. I bet its great to take trips like this and just get away from it all. and have fun. Great post hun. Makes me wanna go to the zoo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...