Image Map

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back 2 School: The Marble Notebook Mystery

Today's post is from Lori The Author! Lori Verni-Fogarsi is the author of two novels, “Momnesia,” and “Unexpecting,” as well as one nonfiction book. She’s a happily married mom of two, step mom  of two more, and has two cats, both rotten. She invites you to join her at her blog:
www.LoriTheAuthor.com, or on all social media @LoriTheAuthor.

 
Marble Notebook Mystery
A guest post by author Lori Verni-Fogarsi (LoriTheAuthor)
 
Between preschool, elementary school, middle school, and now high school, suffice it to
say that I have plenty of experience with the need for marble notebooks.
 
More specifically, I am accustomed to the annual deficit of marble notebooks–right when
you need them–at the beginning of the school year!
 
Oh sure, I see them throughout the rest of the year; I even see them the week before the
school supply lists are made available. But do I buy them? Nooo. Why? Your guess is as
good as mine. (I suspect it’s my desire to thwart complaints from my kids not being able
to choose them themselves.)
 
Instead, I wait for the school supply lists to come out. Which always involve marble
notebooks. At which point we do the school supply shopping and get every single thing
except for the elusive marble notebooks, which are undoubtedly sold out at every WalMart, Target, Staples, etc.
 
I smack myself on the forehead, thinking, “Why, oh why didn’t I just buy them when they
were in stock?” Not to mention on sale for 50 cents instead of $1.50.
 
27 stores later when we finally find them, I tell my girls to each pick an extra notebook,
just in case. I am so smart, I think to myself. I am outsmarting those rotten non-stocking
marble notebook people once and for all!
 
Then the kids come home throughout the first week with additional supplies needed,
which always exceed the one extra marble notebook. Foiled!
 
There’s also the further dilemma that now, marble notebooks are not even marble
anymore! Not only do they come in green, blue, red, and yellow in addition to the
classic black, but they also come in peace signs, rainbows, kittens, Miley Cyrus, and ten
thousand other designs. And to my girls, the picture on the outside of the notebook is
considerably more important than having the school supply itself.
 
I live in NC and school starts in two weeks. Yesterday, I was in Staples and found
“marble” notebooks on sale for $1. Not such a great price, I know. I bought six of them in
various designs. I’m slating them as the emergency backup marble notebooks (which of
course will not have the right kittens, but at least we have them).
 
Next week, when the school supply lists come out, I will undoubtedly drag my kids from
store to store, solely for the purpose of finding the darn notebooks in stock so they can
choose their own designs. Unnecessary torture? Perhaps. But in my mind less torturous
than hearing them complain for six months that they’re stuck with kitten notebooks when
their new favorite animals are (suddenly) rabbits.
 
The moral of the story? Go stock up on marble notebooks now, while you can. Or maybe
not. Either way, the good news is, school starts in two weeks.
 
***Lori has a big celebration, summer sale, and prize pack giveaway surrounding
her novel, “Momnesia,” from August 12 – 19, 2013. You can find all the fun stuff at
 
To find Lori, check out her pages by following the links below:
 
Be sure to stop back in tomorrow for our last post from Candice over at My Little Circus & Me!

1 comment:

  1. Hi everyone! Hope you enjoyed my guest article and that it made you chuckle a bit! Christine, thanks for having me on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...