Image Map

Friday, August 16, 2013

Back 2 School: Starting Kindergarten

Our final post in the Back 2 School Series is by Candice from My Little Circus & Me! A mother of three boys, Candice certainly has her hands full. But this year is about to present a big change for her family because her oldest is starting Kindergarten! A is an awesome big brother and has been in preschool before, but starting at a public school and not being home with his brothers as much is going to be very different. Take a minute to read about how Candice is handling the entire experience.

 
OMG! I Have a Kindergartener!
Guest post by Candice
 
It's happened! I have a Kindergartner! Well I would of last year had we been up in NY but the age cut off date is different in NC. Now some may say "Oh you have a boy be glad!" but I know my son & he could have aced Kindergarten last year no issue. I've always been told from the get go he was super smart.

Anyhow even though the whole stereotyping of "boy's need more time" pisses me off to no end, I'm glad I had an extra year with him! A is a big help to me & I'm honestly not ready to let him go off to school. Why??

Well it means he's growing up. NOOOO!! I'm scared, yep, me I am! I'm scared what he will learn from other children. I'm scared of someone being mean to my child (um. kids are rotten these days). I'm scared of education in general these day's! Some teachers just don't seem to give a crap & it worries me. I'm also scared of the pressure of test scores & what they want these kids doing now a day's! Will they pay enough attention to him? Will they really help him achieve his best?

I don't know! What I do know is he had AMAZING preschool teachers that put their all into those kids everyday & I hope & pray his Kindergarten teacher will do the same. He or She has some big shoes to fill after my experience with preschool.

I've gone back and forth on maybe I should home school him- protect him from the evil world! But I honestly don't know if I could do it. Am I smart enough to home school? Am I creative enough to home school? Not sure on that! I do want A to be able to socialize with kids his age & I don't know many mom's who home school so I have no idea where I'd start or how he'd have the socialization of public school. A loves baseball so I also want him exposed to more sports & have the option so that is another reason we decided public school. My husband & I both went to public school (Both in NY) so that worries me as well. I'm not familiar with schooling down here. I know up North there seems to be a lot more pressure, so maybe it's good were in NC.

I guess it will be a learning experience for us all! I plan to drive A to school, I really don't want him on a bus! I absolutely hated riding the bus when I was in school so I walked or got a ride with friends or my mom drove us. (Kids are awful on the bus, I know first hand) I want to spare A from that at least till he's older & can really stick up for himself if he had to.

I have so much fear about Kindergarten & it is only the beginning of it all! My stomach hurts & my head. But I keep a positive attitude & smile for A! I want him excited about school & I don't want to put any fear in him, so I put my big girl panties on & suck it up!

We went shopping for school supplies & his uniform (YUCK- I never had to wear one)! In one way I get it they all wear the same stuff so no one can pick on anyone. But those things are expensive!  My husband was not happy with the uniform idea at all but what can you do? I will admit hubs was great while shopping & kept his comments to himself & tried to make A excited about his uniform.

A got his backpack & he was so excited he had to wear it around the house, he wanted to open all his supplies & stock his book bag! A is excited but he also told me he is nervous. It will be a big change from 3 hour days of preschool, 3 days a week to 5 days all day. School starts in 2 weeks so expect to hear more about our experience.

To read more from Candice, follow her by clicking the links below:
 
This concludes the Back 2 School Guest Series here on Musings of a Single Mama! I hope you've enjoyed the stories and maybe picked up some useful tips for the coming school year!

1 comment:

  1. I miss hearing about Mr. Boston and how Kbug love's him and how he is so amazing to her. Please write a blog about Mr. Boston and Kbug. I would love to hear something great like kbug loves Mr. Boston and wants nothing to do unless Mr. Boston is involved. Has he done anything great with her? Please write soon thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...