Image Map

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Oh No! I Sound Like My Mother!

Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a mom. I used to play mommy to my dolls and cart them around pretending they were my children. I played house with the kids from my mom's in-home daycare. I pretended that one Barbie was mom while a second Barbie (of the exact same size) was the child. Maybe I was a weird kid. I don't really know.

I do know that I wanted to be a mom, though.
 
I also know that I wanted to be nothing like my mom.

Thinking back, I actually had a really good mom. She loved her children, she loved her daycare children, she provided for us and made sure we had everything we needed. But she also made me clean my room, do the dishes, feed the dogs, watch my siblings and mop the floors. Seriously, that is not what any child wants to do.

To go with the things she had me do, she also said some things that irritated the living daylights out of me. I swore up, down and sideways I would never say these things to my own child(ren) because they bothered me so much when she said them. And maybe it's silly. Maybe I shouldn't feel so guilty now. But I do.

Because I say them to KBug.
All. The. Time.
 
 1. "Look with your eyes, not with your hands."
My mother said this to me and my siblings all the time. We wouldn't have even walked through the doors to the store and she'd be saying the words. Seriously, Mom? We know already! But, of course, at some point during our shopping excursion she would have to say it again because one of us, usually my brother, couldn't keep his hands to himself and just look with his eyes. Come on, mom, give the kid a break! He was like 5! Ok, maybe he was actually 10...
And now, here I am, such a hypocrite because I say it to KBug.
And I sometimes say it before we've entered the store.
Oops.
 
2. "Get back in bed."
I don't really remember my mom saying this one to me much because I was really little when she would have to say it to me. But I do remember hearing her repeat the story of her having to sit outside my bedroom door, with her feet propped up on the baby gate and say "Get back in bed... Get back in bed... Get back in bed..." for thirty minutes before I would finally fall asleep each night. And just hearing the story on what seemed like a continuous loop is enough to drive anyone up the flipping wall, I swear.
But I often find myself saying the same words, using the same tone, when KBug tries to be sneaky at night.
Yeah, kid, the "I just want a snack" trick doesn't work on me.
 
3. "I'm gonna count to 3!"
The dreaded number 3. My mom was a huge fan of the number 3, and the numbers 1 and 2 which just so happen to get caught in the cross fire between a mother and her child. Who decided 3 was some sort of magic number? What lunatic person decided that counting to 3 was a good way to get children to listen and do as they were told? It certainly wasn't my mother because Lord knows it never worked for her! Well, at least not with me. I really didn't care about the number 3 or what was supposed to happen when she reached it. I was that kid.
And it seems KBug is "that kid", too, because she doesn't give a darn when I count to 3.
I guess she's of the same mind and simply wonders why 3 is so special?
 
4. "Did you do all of your homework?"
Yes, mom, I did all of my homework. She got the same response. Every. Single. Day. So why is it she felt the need to ask me? Every. Single. Day. I guess she didn't believe me or something because my grades weren't all that great. I was the child who came home and did all of their homework, knowing that my mother would ask me and I'm a terrible liar. But I hardly ever turned a single homework assignment in. It was my own personal rebellion against my mother, the tyrant. In retrospect, she really wasn't a tyrant. But the teenager Christine thought she was, especially when it came to homework.
Yet I find myself asking KBug the exact same question, every Monday through Thursday, starting in August and ending in May or June.
 
5. "Because I'm your mother and I said so!"
I never understood the logic in those words when I was younger. Really? What kind of reason is that? My best friend had a mother, too, but I didn't have to do things because she told me to. And you have a mother, and I'm sure you don't do everything she tells you to do. There's some flawed reasoning in that statement, I was sure of it. Because what makes a mother so special that things are the way she says just because she said so? I just didn't understand.
I'm pretty sure I still don't understand. I guess it's just a trick we use to get our own way.
Unfortunately, though, it doesn't work very well with KBug.
She always wants a better reason.
Come on, kid, mom just wants you to put the dishes in the sink.
 
So, there you have it. The top 5 things I hate admitting I say just because it makes me sound like my mom. I love her dearly, but that doesn't mean I want to be her! Oh well, I guess there are worse things in the world to be. I could be homeless, with no education or money, dating a guy who likes to do drugs.
 
Thank God my mother would never let me turn out like that...
If I did, though, I can guarantee I know what her new favorite line would be...
"I raised you better than that!"

17 comments:

  1. :) love this. We all turn into our moms in some way don't we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half those i got from Grandma and just today i heard her words come out of my mouth and went oh no im turning into my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half those i got from Grandma and just today i heard her words come out of my mouth and went oh no im turning into my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there. Would love for you to come by and link up with me and my blog friends. Be sure to answer the question too. It's "How did you meet your boyfriend, fiance or husband? (which ever applies to you) and What nice things does he do for you. Be sure to tell your other blog friends about my blog hop and point them in my direction.
    http://pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/06/fun-day-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog!
    Now following!!
    Looking forward to keeping up!

    I also have a blog design site, so if you ever need a custom blog design at great prices, please check it out :)
    christinaloranedesigns.blogspot.com

    xo
    Christina
    pieceitalltogetherx3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello hopping by via "That Friday Blog Hop Link Up"

    This post made me chuckle, I too am finding me doing and saying phrases my used to me as a kid to my children now lol

    I am your newest follower and I can't wait to get to know more about you :)

    Nikki
    http://www.holdingmetoranson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so strange how we turn into our parents as we age isn't it?

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have turned into my mother as well. I am all about saying and doing many of the things my mom did. However, like you I didn't want to turn into her when I was growing up. I thought she was to strict and way to mean, but in reality she loved me enough to be that way.

    Great post, and definitely one many of us can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL ... I think it's inevitable that we all turn into parts of our mothers!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The older I get the more like my mother I am. Ugh.

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, it comes to us all. I am reliving my mum, from 30 yrs ago. It feel very strange, but there are worse things I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found you on the mid week blog hop :) love this post!! I am forever finding myself saying things that my mum used to and I had always swore I wouldn't!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say all of them (and more). I guess it's a mum thing :)
    At least you are keeping with tradition, and one day your kids will say it to their kids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have turned into my mother too. But my favorite expression is actually my father's -- "What part of 'No' don't you understand? The N or the O?" LOL

    Visiting from the Mad Mid-Week Hop. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its dreadful isn;t it. I even have my mum's mannerisms now. And she lives 2000 miles away! great post

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, really enjoyed reading this. Although I think its something we'll all experience, sounding/becoming like our Mothers! haha!

    Thanks for linking up with this weeks Mad Mid-Week Blog hop! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...