Image Map

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Be True to Yourself

I've spent the majority of the past 36 hours trying to decide if I actually wanted to write this post. It is a hot button topic for a lot of people, but it is one that I have a lot to say about. And I am trying not to deviate from my thoughts and opinions while I run this blog because I believe it is important to remain true to myself. I also believe that everyone has a right to voice their opinion and still retain respect. So I am going ahead with this post because I feel in my heart that it is the right thing to do.

 
This basically says it all. I'm a California girl, born and raised 45 minutes away from San Francisco ("The Gay Capital of the World"). And I understand that this may have something to do with why my thoughts and opinions are so strong when it comes to this topic.
 
Gay marriage.
 
I am completely aware of the fact that many people find the idea of gay marriage offensive. I am well aware that the Catholic church, to which I belong, believes that allowing homosexual men and women to marry undermines the institution of marriage. There are numerous articles written about the Catholic churches opposition to gay marriage. However, I am not of the same opinion.
 
Growing up in the San Francisco area is vastly different from living in the south, like I do now. The opinions on various topics are entirely opposite. The openness to people who live in different situations is largely present on one side of the country, and largely absent on the other. The willingness to understand and accept people who only want to openly love who they want is apparent in the west, but not so much here in the south. And that is horrifying. The notion that our country is so divided is simply appalling.
 
In my own opinion, gay marriage shouldn't be a "hot button topic". But I understand that it is. In my opinion, gay marriage shouldn't be called gay marriage. It should just be marriage. Because, according to me, that's what it is.
 
Just because a relationship is two women or two men does not mean that they don't love each other just as much as the people of a relationship between a man and a woman. We are all capable of loving. And we should be able to show our love to the world, no matter what.
 
So many times in the history of our country, people have had to fight for their rights. For years, slavery was permitted within the boundaries of the United States and they had to fight for their freedom. Women have had to fight for their rights, and even before they were awarded their rights, they joined in the anti-slavery movement in the 1800s. African American men and women also had to stand up for themselves in order to be given the rights they are entitled to.
 
How is it that after so many movements by people looking to gain equality, there is still such indecisiveness within our country? How have we not learned that our founding fathers wrote the words "all men are created equal" in the Declaration of Independence for a reason? How is it that we are still debating whether or not any individual or group of people deserves the same respect, treatment and rights as everyone else?
 
 
 
I know there are a number of people who think that being gay is wrong.... But how can it be wrong to love someone? How can it be wrong to want to spend the rest of your life with someone because you can't imagine life without them? What rational thought process says that it's wrong to love?
 
As far as I can tell, being gay is just a part of who someone is, exactly like being straight is a part of who someone is. It doesn't change who they are as a person. It doesn't make them anything less because they love someone of the same gender. It doesn't have anything to do with the way they treat others. It doesn't make any difference at all.
 
It isn't about the way they were raised. It isn't about a choice they made. It isn't about anything other than being true to themselves. And I think that is admirable.
 
There are so many people in this world who spend all of their time pretending to be someone they are not. There are so many people in this world who hide who they really are. There are so many people in this world who are ashamed to stand up and be proud of who they are. There should be more people who are willing to stand up and be proud and excited about being one of God's creations. We should all be proud of the way God made us. We shouldn't hide in fear and doubt. That's cowardly.
 


Honestly, I don't think there is any reason why gay marriage shouldn't be legalized. The men and women who are fighting for this right obviously see value in it. If they didn't view marriage as important and something they were willing to commit to, this wouldn't be an issue. People wouldn't be arguing over whether or not it would undermine the institution of marriage because these men and women wouldn't have ever brought up the topic. They wouldn't have bothered if they didn't care. But they do. So why not give them this simple right? Why not allow them to be true to themselves and enjoy the same liberties that men and women of the straight population do? Nothing is going to change, nothing horrible is going to happen by giving these people the same respect they give the rest of the world, except that they will legally be allowed to marry.
 
 
And wouldn't it be a good thing for us all to be at peace? Wouldn't it be a good thing to let the members of the gay community be happy?
 
One last thought for you on this topic. I am so tired of people saying that they are "homophobic". The concept of homophobia is ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing to be scared of. So a gay man dresses a little different than you. So what? Or a lesbian is a little more outspoken than you are. Who cares? It's nothing to be afraid of. Seriously, Morgan Freeman said it best.
 
 
I completely agree.
 
Let this community live and be happy. Let them enjoy the same basic liberties the rest of us are afforded. Let's end this war and just let all men and women truly be created equally.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better. Love you chica, Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your perspective. Over here from the blog hop!

    Love this line "In my opinion, gay marriage shouldn't be called gay marriage. It should just be marriage..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that picture! "If God hates Gays, why are we so Cute!" ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added you. Cant add you on fb yet b/c well fb hates me and I cant do anything like liking a page or commenting for 30 days all b/c i posted too much stuff that I felt needed to be posted. Oh well..screw fb. I have the hundreds of others that I have LOL. Anyways....I'm not sure how I feel about the gay situation b/c I have 2 guy cousins and I dont love them any less. Then I know my dad is totally against but what if I was Gay. Would I be looked upon? Would my family hate me? What I be thrown out of their house? Not welcomed in the church? And this goes to everyone out there who is gay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for speaking your mind! ***claps hands like Jack from Will & Grace***
    Newest follower:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...