Image Map

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Our Friday Fun-Day and Holy Saturday Adventures

So I've been away from the blogging world for a couple of days now.... And it's been a very back-and-forth couple of days for our family.

We kicked off our Easter break on Thursday!!

And by kicking off our Easter break, I mean that GMa and I came home from work and took a nap and KBug curled up in her bed, watched movies and read books... Yup, that was how we started our Easter break. And let me tell you, we needed it. It was the most relaxing nap I think I have taken in a long time and KBug really enjoyed the down time.

Well, Thursday came to an end and along came Friday. And I decided that KBug and I were going to spend the day together. We haven't had some Mama and KBug time for a while now, and I thought we could use it. So we got dressed and headed out the door.

First stop, pedicures!

KBug played on her iPod while they painted her toes pretty!

She chose purple this time. It really surprised me because she usually goes with pink.
 
After we got our pedicures (sorry, no picture of my toes for this trip...white tips aren't really blog worth, right??), we went to Michael's and picked up a few things. We found some little coloring book/activity packs and picked up a few, and grabbed a couple of things for her upcoming birthday party (33 days...) that she thought would look really cute with our Owl theme.
 
I really love that she's so opinionated and really starting to voice her opinions and make decisions, but at the same time I miss my little girl who left everything up to me. I have always LOVED planning her parties. But it is KBug's birthday, so I'm learning to let it be KBug's party, too. It's just an adjustment for me.
 
Anyways. KBug and I then came home and got to the part of the day I'd been waiting for! At the end of the school year last year (which was only, like, 10 months ago....), one of the teachers was going through her craft supplies and found some ceramic boots that she hadn't used and had no use for. This teacher knew that KBug loves to paint, so she gave them to me so they could be painted. It took me 10 months, but we've finally gotten around to the painting part of having these boots. 

KBug hard at work, painting her boot!

Still hard at work trying to get the whole boot painted.

My finished boot
 
KBug's finished boot.
The "D" is for "daisy", she told me, because she wants to plant daisy seeds in the boot for the side yard.
 
So KBug and I painted for a while and it was nice to have a Mother/Daughter project like that. She really enjoyed being able to paint and let her creativity loose and I was happy to watch her be creative! I think she did a wonderful job!
 
For the past few weeks, KBug has wanted nothing more than to go to a movie. So I figured we could find a way to fit it in. And I managed to squeeze it into our day, and convince PJP that he should join us! We decided to go see "Oz, the Great and Powerful". KBug has had a longstanding love for the movie "Wizard of Oz", so I thought it would be one she would really enjoy.
 
PJP doesn't like having his picture taken...

KBug and I, ready to see the movie!
 
After our movie, KBug, GMa and I decided on pizza for dinner (PJP was called upon to be social by a few friends). So we ordered up, picked it up, and hunkered down for some pizza eating while we watched old episodes of The Biggest Loser. This is kind of crazy, but KBug loves this show. Seriously, she requests to watch this show and she is very careful to learn everyone's name and make sure she knows exactly who has been eliminated from the game and why. It's kind of cute to see her be so interested by something like this.
 
Ready to enjoy her pizza!

She wanted to take a silly picture :)
 
Now, getting to one of the downsides to this weekend...
 
Back in September, we adopted a puppy from a friend of mine. She is a black lab and Alaskan malamute mix. We named her Molley.
 
Unfortunately, my work and school situation changed, so I didn't have the time necessary to devote to training a puppy. PJP didn't have the time either. So Molley spent a lot of time outside. She did learn the basics, though (sit, lay down, out). However, Molley was big on jumping up on people. And counters. And Molley and Izzy (our dachshund) didn't always get along. And GMa was scared of Molley, and KBug wasn't safe around her because Molley had too much energy for them to play without KBug getting hurt.
 
So we decided that Molley needed a new home. And the friend we adopted her from was willing to take her back until he could find her a good forever home.
 
I'm only going to post a few of the many pictures I took of our puppy these past two days before we took her to my friend house.
 
Curled up at the end of my bed with her favorite Monkey toy
 
 

Riding in the car with me
 

KBug wasn't thrilled with the idea of giving Molley back, but she was much better about it than I was. I shed a lot of tears over this puppy in the past couple of days. I wish I could change the situation, but I know she will be happier in a home where she will be well socialized, with people and other dogs, and use all of the wonderful energy she has. I miss her, and I will always love her, but she will be better off. Sometimes it's just hard to accept things.
 
At least I had the Easter Vigil to look forward to. After I dropped Molley off, I came home and we set to work preparing for the Easter Vigil at church. Which means I curled KBug's hair, we put on our pretty dresses, and off we went!
 
KBug looking all pretty in the car
 

KBug and I before church

KBug, GMa and I before church
 
So we went to the Vigil, and I have to admit that it was actually a huge disappointment for me.
 
I have been attending Easter Vigil's for years, and I have loved attending for years. But not so much since I moved to this neck of the woods.
 
Our parish in California is vastly different from the parish we attend here. And I understand that different parishes work different ways, but I feel like this one isn't working in a way that benefits the parish and the parishioners.
 
Going to Mass every Sunday used to be one of the highlights of my week. I was a member of the choir back in California, we had an excellent music director, and we had an amazing music program all around, with three different choirs. Our parish in California also really focused on making sure they reached out to the children, teenagers and young adults who came to Mass. It was important to the parish that the younger generation be drawn in and welcomed. So they used different music, they hired a band, they had high school students say the readings and speak about various events. And it worked- the young people attended Mass because they enjoyed it. Going to Mass wasn't a chore for them.
 
But even though it wasn't the Easter Vigil experience I had hoped it might be, I still attended. I still paid attention to the readings, I still said every prayer, I still listened to every word spoken. Because even if it wasn't what I had hoped it might be, it was still an experience. And it was still important to me to be present and show my faith. It was still important to me to feel that connection with God and His son, Jesus Christ.
 
And now, after feeling that connection and the powerful love Jesus holds for the world, I am at peace.
 
At least until tomorrow morning when KBug wakes up and realizes the Easter bunny has been by to visit us!
 
The Easter bunny brought KBug things for the backyard this year!
Chalk, a soccer ball and a bubble wand.
He also brought her a Princess Celestia pony and two new movies!
 
Now, before anyone freaks out over the sugar overdose my daughter may or may not experience, let me explain... KBug decided this year that she was going to give up Easter candy for Lent. And KBug made it through the full 40 days of Lent without Easter candy and without complaint. So the Easter bunny has been very generous and provided her with an overload of her favorite Easter candy, Peeps. KBug has been eyeing them in the store, but never once asked. So she's being rewarded. Though it will take her a few weeks to eat through all of them because she's only allowed two per day. She just doesn't know it yet!
 
Oh, and just to show off how absolutely adorable my KBug is.
 
She had to name our new Easter decorations.
And they are appropriately named Pinky, Orangis, Greenie, Whitie, Yellowie, and Bluie.
 
I love my KBug!
 
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter!
 
Hallelujah! He is Risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...