Image Map

Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Perfect Balance [Coffee and Conversation]

Coffee & ConversationEarlier this evening I was going through my Reading List on my Blogger homepage and one particular post caught my eye. It was Coffee and Conversation #5 [Struggles in Blog Life]. This post is on a blog called Love. Laughter. Happily Ever After. and is one of my more recent discoveries. This blog is written by a young woman who tells about her life as a newlywed. She doesn't run her blog to make money, but rather to give others an understanding of her life and the life she shares with her husband. It is very personal to her, and her post was absolutely inspiring. So, thank you, Kalyn, for writing such a beautiful post and motivating me to really evaluate my biggest struggle in life right now.

That's the theme for this weeks "Coffee and Conversation" Blog Hop. What are you struggling with in your life right now?

Well, I honestly didn't have to think very hard on that one. It came within a matter of seconds, which tells me that it truly is my greatest struggle and something that I should really work towards rectifying because it has such a huge impact on many different aspects of my life.

Time management.
 
I am typically very good at managing my time. I know what has to be done, when it has to be done and how long it will take me. Managing my time well is something I have had to learn through my college experience as an exclusively online student at Western Governors University. All of my classes are online, my tests are taken through an online system and use a webcam as a proctor, my textbooks and materials are all available on the internet. So, because of the freedom to study whenever I want, I have had to learn how to schedule my study time.
 
Most people my age would think this was easy. But I also don't live the same life as a lot of people my age.
 
I have a child, a grandmother and brother to live with. I have a job. I have a home to maintain. I have volunteer hours to complete at the school. I have laundry, dishes, sweeping, mopping, yard work. I have a dog to take care of. I have an ex husband who thinks we should live our lives around his schedule. I have a deployed boyfriend. There are many more things for me to worry about on a daily basis than most 23 year olds.
 
And I was doing really well with my time management until this last term. I had everything planned out and I knew exactly what I had to have done and when I wanted to see it done by.
 
But I've been called into work. And KBug was sick. And PJP was behind on his schoolwork so I helped him. And I began developing my blog a bit more. And I wanted to clean my house. I wanted to Skype with Mr. Deployed when he got off work, which is the middle of the day for me. And the list just kept getting longer and longer. And schoolwork has just been pushed further and further down.
 
And I am not okay with that anymore.
 
I have worked hard to achieve what I have thus far in my life. I graduated high school with a 14 month old. I graduated with two AAs and a 4 year old. And now I want to graduate with my Bachelor's this year. And I believe I can do it.
 
I just have to find that balance. I have to find what works for everyone.
 
I need to find enough time to complete all of my studies and reading every day. I need to find enough time to exercise every day. I need to find enough time to get my lesson materials together before I teach. I need to find enough time to spend with KBug and make sure she still feels the love. I need to find enough time to keep our household clean and running smoothly. And then I need to find a little extra time in the day so that I have time to relax, breathe, and just be me.
 
Honestly, this has a lot to do with my willingness to put others ahead of myself. It is very difficult for me to say no when I am asked to substitute for another teacher for a day. It is hard for me to tell my family and friends that I just have the time to do an activity. Because I want to make them happy, at whatever expense. Not doing so makes me feel guilty.
 
But I know that I need to start standing up for myself and putting my priorities back in order. And I recognize that I am going to need to ask for help to do this.
 
So, with any luck, my family will be willing to help me, and work will be understanding.
 
I have to graduate this year.
 
And finding that perfect balance is the only way I will succeed.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get all your matters done and in an orderly fashion. I hope to graduate soon too. Waiting for the diploma as we speak.

    p.s. off topic but i'm now at the OTH where Quientin gets killed and I believe I'm gonna fast forward thru it b/c well sad moments bring out emotions in me and well I've already had a weird couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on getting it all done, Laney. It's just taking a lot more time than I had originally thought it would. But hopefully it will all even out soon.

      I don't like that episode :(

      Delete
  2. Awesome post, friend! Thanks so much for linking up with us! You can do all of this and more, just take it one day at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalyn! I'm working on it. Just struggling while I do. :)

      Delete
  3. Time management is so hard! Thanks so much for sharing - finding balance is such a great reminder to strive for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Lauren! It is so hard for me to find that balance here lately. But I am bound and determined to find it and make it work!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...