Image Map

Monday, March 25, 2013

What's In A Name?

So I started my day this morning at 5:15am, working on 3 hours of sleep. Trust me, I did not want to get out of bed for anything. But I did it. And I got ready, made breakfast, snack and lunch for KBug, made lunch for me, got KBug dressed and ready for school, woke up PJP and headed out the door at 7:15.

Without my lunch.
Without KBug's glasses.
Without PJP having brushed his teeth.
(seriously, I don't feel like I should have to remind an 18 year old to brush his teeth...but apparently I do...)
 
So all of those setbacks aside, life moved forward. PJP and I took KBug to school and sent her off, happy and excited for her Easter Egg Hunt with her class. Then we went to Wal-Mart where PJP was going to drop me off to go grocery shopping while he went to a dentist appointment (again, he definitely should have remembered to brush his teeth this morning). Well, PJP had a few minutes to spare before he had to head off, so we sat in the car and hung out for a few minutes.
 
Honestly, we live in the same house, we spend a lot of time around each other, but it is very rare that we actually just hang out and enjoy each other's company. We are almost always on the go and have somewhere to be or something to do. So this was precious time. And I wanted to enjoy it.
 
But PJP and I had the radio turned on. And some morning show or another was playing.
 
I'm not the type who faithfully listens to a morning show every morning. That's just not who I am. I am the type of person who switches from one radio station to the next, just hoping and praying that someone is playing music. And it has to be good music or I just plug in my iPhone and listen to my own music.
 
Usually no one is playing good music because they are all busy yammering about celebrity's and playing silly games, so my iPhone is plugged in within the first 3 minutes of me getting in my car.
 
This morning, though, I left the radio on because PJP and I were talking.
 
But then I caught a little snippet of what the host had said and I found it to be completely ridiculous.
 
This particular morning show had caught wind of a story of a woman who was trying to have a child removed from a school because she found his name to be offensive.
 
Now, this child has never done anything wrong. He isn't a trouble maker. He isn't a bully.
 
The 9 year old boys name is Gunnar.
 
And another parent was offended by his name and doesn't think that a name with the word "gun" in it should be allowed in the school.
 
Are you kidding me!?
 
It's a name. This boy was not named Gunnar because of some obsession his mother had with guns. This boy was not named Gunnar because his mom had hopes that he would grow up to like guns, own guns, shoot guns. This boy was named Gunnar because his mother liked the name.
 
The same reason my daughter was given her name, and the same reason most people have their names. Seriously, would your name be Sarah or John if your mom and/or dad didn't like the name?
 
No!
You'd be named something entirely different, like Veronica or Alan.
 

 
And to make this situation even more ridiculous, the school has told Gunnar's mother that he has to change his name, go by his middle name of Matthew, or find a new school.
 
I'm sorry, but that is just wrong. Again, there is nothing offensive, to my mind, about the name Gunnar. I find it to be an adorable name and one I could possibly see myself actually naming a child.
 
It's unique, it's different, it's eye-catching. There's no reason why Gunnar is not an acceptable name in society.
 
Now, this article, written by Resque232 on NCGunOwners.com, literally put into words my exact thoughts when I heard this on the radio this morning.
 
My first thought was
 
"What about children named Hunter?
Is that considered an offensive name, too?"
 
Again, Hunter is a name I have seen a number of times and thought was an adorable name. Hunter is not a name I find offensive at all. Hunter is, like Gunnar, unique, different and eye-catching.
 
I mean, really, who isn't going to remember a child named "Gunnar" or "Hunter"?
 
Personally, I think the woman who complained about the poor boys name is way out of line. And I think the school is way out of line for telling this mother that her 9 year old son has to change his name or find another school. There is absolutely no reason for this young boy to have to go through that sort of massive change.
 
And there is no reason for this young boy to have to be bullied or picked on because of his name.
 
I feel for this boy. And I feel for his mother. (It may have something to do with her status as a fellow single mama...)
 
And I also feel for this young boy and his family.
 
If you follow the link, you will read an article about a 3-year-old boy. Following the same theme as above, this child's name is Hunter. Hunter is deaf, and therefore communicates using Sign Language.
 
Now, there are a number of citizens in our society who are deaf and use Sign Language to communicate. There are also a number of hearing citizens who use Sign Language to communicate with those members of society who have no other choice. Sign Language is recognized and known all over the world.
 
Are there different sign language interpretations for different parts of the world? Absolutely. (You can read more about them here.)
 
So, if there are different interpretations, including systems that are created within individual families, how is it that the school this 3-year-old attends is telling this family that their child has to change his name, or his name sign, because it "resembles 'weapons'".
 
Ludicrous.
 
This child was given the beautiful name of "Hunter" at birth. This boy has been called "Hunter" all of his life. And the sign that this young man uses to depict his name is not offensive in any way.
 
Using his hands is how he communicates with his family, his friends, the world around him. It is the only form of communication that he knows, and his name sign is part of him. It's how he identifies himself to those around him. It's how those around him identify him. It is who he is. And at 3-years-old it is so important to his development that he be taught to be content with who he is.
 
If we take a look at Erikson's Theory of Psychosocial Stages of Development, a 3 year old is in between the Autonomy Vs. Shame and Doubt stage and the Initiative vs. Guilt stage. Both of these stages are so crucial to a child's development. If a child is taught to be ashamed of himself, it is so difficult for him to grow up and come out with initiative. It's a slippery slope, and it can be either an uphill battle or a downward slide. The goal is to continue with the uphill battle so the child comes out the best possible version of himself.
 
If this school forces this child to change his name, what are they teaching him?
 
That would be teaching him to be ashamed of himself.
Ashamed of his name.
Ashamed of his own identity.
 
Is that really the foundation a school should be laying for a child? Shame and doubt in one's self at such an early age? It's a horrifying thought, it really is.
 
Parents and educators are here to teach children. Sure, we exist to teach them things like reading, writing and arithmetic. The basics of academics. But we also need to teach them confidence. We need to build them up and enable them to be successful individuals. We need to encourage them to trust themselves and find it in their souls to be the best person they can be. That is so important for children.
 
 
I feel like our society is forgetting how important it is to support our younger generations. They need that love, confidence and encouragement. And there are too many educators in the world who aren't interested enough in these children to give them what they need.
 
Now, I am not saying that there are not educators out there who do actually care, because there are. I personally know several educators (funny that I might since I'm a teacher myself) and many of these educators have a deep respect for their students and honestly want them to succeed in life and become amazing people.
 
Children can do amazing things. And we need to remember that.
 
 
And we need to remember not to judge people. It doesn't matter what race you are, what country you're from, what your socio-economic status is, or what your name is.
 
What matters is your heart.
 
If you have a good heart- if you have a good soul- this world will be a better place.
 
And then something as small as a name won't matter.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think people have lost all sense. Just because someone is named something it doesn't mean they just have the negative traits. I really don't understand the concept as it teaches fear. Not tolerance or empathy. This would be like perceiving me (Ashleigh) as a popular girl who doesn't care about others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...