Image Map

Friday, March 8, 2013

It's the Future in One Time Zone, and the Past in Another

It's been a while since I last wrote a blog, so it's time for some updates!

First off can I just tell you all how much I really do not like time zones? And there are a number of reasons. Let's start with this one. Most of my family lives on the other side of the country. Which means that they are either two or three hours behind me in their day. So, lets say that I wake up early and realize I want to talk to my mom about something?

Ok, that's a terrible example because my mom is usually up before the sun is in AZ.

But lets say its my dad or my best friend. Are they up before the sun? No. Are they up at sunrise? Not usually. Do I have to wait several hours to send them a message so as not to disturb their beauty sleep?

Yes. I do.

And sometimes I really just don't want to wait.

Another reasons time zones irritate me? Afghanistan is so many hours ahead of us. 9.5 hours to be exact. And when the deployed person is working night shift, it's great! Communicating is easy because when I'm awake, so are they.

However, Mr. Deployed is now working day shift. Which means that our schedules are pretty much exactly opposite.

So the hour-long, nightly Skype calls I have grown to love so much? Yep, not going to be happening very often anymore because Mr. Deployed needs to go eat breakfast and then go to work. And then in the mornings when I am waking up and Mr. Deployed is getting off of work? Well, that's several hours into my day and most of the time I am not available for conversation at that point.

Basically, communication with anyone who is not currently on the East coast is a challenge and today it didn't agree with me.

Maybe it will be better in a couple of months when Mr. Deployed is back in country.

And, for all of my loved ones who live in other places, just know that I love you and miss you even if we don't talk all the time because I have an irrational fear of disturbing someone else when they are experiencing a different part of the day and it's slightly disorienting to have to think about how it's morning somewhere else when it's afternoon here.

Yes, I completely understand how "blonde" that makes me.



Oh? And just to add to my morning grievances over time differences, I had to talk about time zones with my students today because they need to remember to account for them while completing their projects for me.

If you leave JFK at 10am EST, it is already 4pm in Switzerland. Therefore, with a nine hour flight, your arrival time in Switzerland would be 1am, not 7pm.

If you leave Raleigh at 11pm EST on March 8th, it is already 7am on March 9th in Djibouti. Therefore, with a fifteen hour flight time, you would not arrive in Djibouti until 10pm on March 9th.

I think I succeeded in confusing a few of my students with this concept. Hopefully they figure it all out before their final projects are due!

Moving on.

I got to spend time in the Preschool classroom this morning! It was so much fun and made me realize how much I really miss the little ones around the school. I'm thinking there may be some volunteering happening here soon..... (As if I don't have enough going on in my life!)

Next.

KBug is doing really well. Her grades are still good and she seems to be understanding all of the concepts she's being taught in school

She's struggling with memorizing her addition and subtraction facts, though. So her teacher and I have agreed to start her in an additional math facts computer program that the school offers. She's great on a computer, so I am hopeful that combining math facts with something that she actually likes will help her to learn them quickly.

And, of course, there's the ever faithful flash cards and apps available on all of the gadgets we have floating around the house. KBug has actually learned quite a lot from the educational apps I download for her. It's pretty awesome to be able to sneak in some extra learning when all she thinks she is doing is playing!

OHH! Have I ever mentioned how much KBug loves puzzles?? Well, she does. And she always has one or two in progress on her bedroom floor.

Problem? Miss M, our puppy, seems to love puzzles as well. But she prefers to chew on them. I have lost so many puzzle pieces to puppy teeth marks over the last several months. I've explained to KBug that it won't happen if she cleans them up when she's finished them, but she just loves having them on display on her floor. And I don't argue the subject and just continuously remind her to close her door. She's proud of her work, and I'm proud of her for putting them together. It's not easy for a not quite 7-year-old to put together a 200 piece puzzle. And then to have to take it apart right away? That's just not worth the argument.

Topic change:

I don't think I've ever said anything about how much I absolutely love this wonderful website called Pinterest. I'm a complete addict and I am logged in and pinning just about every chance I get! There's always something new to find and it's so easy to get sucked into this website. And I've actually found some really great ideas on there!

For example, I recently started a "Mommy & KBug" notebook.

 
I began the notebook by writing her a note explaining that the notebook was for her to write to me whenever she felt like she needed to tell me something but she didn't want to talk about it. She can write when she's angry, sad, happy, hurt, anytime. KBug, like me, loves to write. And she, also like me, is better at writing what she wants to say than she is at actually saying it aloud. I think it has something to do with the idea that you can erase and re-word your message until you think it's perfect. So hopefully she will pick up on this idea and begin to use the notebook to communicate things to me that she otherwise may not have said.



Another example of something I have done that I found on Pinterest? Crock Pot Baked Potatoes.

 
Oh. My. Gosh. These were the best baked potatoes I have ever had. They were cooked perfectly, tasted amazing, and the best part is that I didn't have to run my oven for an hour and a half! I was able to put these in the Crock Pot, set it to low and go to work! 8 hours later, voila! Dinner is served! (With a salad and a fruit, of course.)
 
I've also done several different workouts that I've found on Pinterest. There would be too many to list in this blog. Perhaps one of these days I'll dedicate a blog post to my workouts. But, in the meantime, if you want to check them out, feel free to visit my Justifications board! (http://pinterest.com/tineylorraine/justifications/)
 
 
Changing the subject:
 
As far as other updates.... KBug talked to her father two weeks ago. She was very disinterested with the call and ended up interacting more with me than with him. KBug has decided that DD is boring.
 
I don't blame her.
 
Especially since he only calls every once in a while and can't talk to KBug about anything more interesting than ice fishing. KBug doesn't care about ice fishing. Let's get real here.
 
But, of course, I'm not supposed to tell DD that he's being absolutely ridiculous if he thinks KBug cares about ice fishing because that would be insensitive or mean or something. Seriously?
 
 
Oh, and I think it's absolutely hilarious that DD isn't able to have a call with KBug unless GF is present. Really? She doesn't need to be there for the calls. There is ZERO, let me say it again, ZERO relationship between KBug and GF.
 
And if GF does feel like she just has to be there for every call...? Well, that says a LOT about the relationship. Can we say limited trust, insecurity and immaturity?
 
Yes, we can.
 
 
I mean, come on. The excuse for not having a call when GF is at work is that DD has Boy and Girl. Well, if Boy and Girl can go to bed before the call when GF is home, why can't Boy and Girl go to bed before the call when GF is at work?
 
Do they have different bedtimes with GF is at home than they do when GF is at work?
I don't think so......
 
So......I'm confused. Because the Skype calls are always scheduled for the same time.
 
Weird.
 
But that's the crazy life we live, I suppose.
 
I'm sure there's more to update on and write about, but it's 9:30pm on a Friday night (6:30pm in California, 7am on Saturday in Afghanistan), and this lady has plans tonight.
 
That's right, I have plans.
 
I'm going to grade assignments, devise lesson plans for the next few weeks, and send off a few emails to Mr. Deployed.
 
Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...