Image Map

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Coffee and Conversation #7 [Strengths and Weaknesses]

Coffee & Conversation
 
I am so glad I found the Coffee and Conversation link-up, hosted by Kalyn over at Love. Laughter. Happily Ever After. and Lauren at Simply Free. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention last weekend so I missed out on the Easter/Spring Break topic link-up. But I'm on the ball this week and ready to go!
 
This weeks question:
 
What do you consider your two greatest strengths? What about the areas you would like to improve?
 
Honestly I'm going to have to think on this one. I've always considered myself to be a strong individual overall, given everything I've been through in my life. But I've never really given much thought as to what traits I have that could be considered strengths.
 
I think my desire to want to help people could be one of my strengths. Since I was a little girl I've loved to help people. Whether it was with their homework or a friendship or just getting through the day, I have always tried to be there for people. I remember back in fourth grade they started a Conflict Resolution group at our school. The students who were members were Conflict Resolution Monitors and they helped the yard duties patrol the playground. If kids were have disagreements, it was their job to step in and help talk them through it. I can remember the training just like it was yesterday. You never talk about the other person, it's always "I feel..." statements, you work them through their argument calmly and do everything to keep the situation peaceful. (via)
 
Yes, I was a Conflict Resolution Monitor.
And I loved it.
 
Later on when I had reached a higher level in my dancing, I started helping other dancers. Whether it was helping the learn or step or working on a new move or posture, I was there. I helped them to become better dancers. Most dancers would only go to a competition for one day out of the weekend- the day they competed. Not me, though. I always went on both days. Because I wanted to watch the younger students I had been helping compete. I wanted to see them do well and apply what we had been working on. It was always such a rewarding experience.
 
I had this one dance friend. He was my best friend. We'll call him Fancy. ;)
 
Fancy was a wonderful dancer. Open Championship, competed for years, put his heart into it every time he stepped up to the front of the room. I loved to watch him dance. But Fancy had a hard time remembering all of his steps, and sometimes he didn't even remember to pack a pair of shorts for class. But I was always just a phone call away and I had a pair I kept in my bag for him, just in case. That's what friends are for, right? And I spent extra time learning all of his dances, too, because I wanted to be able to help him if he needed it. I liked being able to help him, just like I enjoyed helping all of the other students in the lower levels.
 
It made me feel like I was doing something good in my life.
 
And to this day I love to help people. Maybe it's part of why I'm a good teacher? I do as much as I can for my students. I help them as much as possible because I want them to succeed. I want them to learn and to grow and to know that they can achieve anything. All they need is someone to help them occasionally and to guide them though the difficult parts of school, friendship and life. (via)
 
Just a few simple words can change their outlook.
So if I can help with just a few words, I'm absolutely going to.
 
A second strength..... I think my ability to be a single mother is a strength. Honestly, being a single parent is incredibly difficult and trying. There's always something more to do and there's always something that needs to be done right that second. As a single mother, there is hardly ever a moment of peace or rest. I feel like I am constantly moving on to the next thing.
 
But I've also learned that it is important for me to take time for myself, too. If I am constantly going, how am I ever going to be happy? It's ok for me to take a night and go out with a friend. It's ok for me to put off folding the laundry so I can spend a few minutes reading my book or writing. There's nothing wrong with having a little bit of time for just myself.
 
It's also a constant struggle to try and be everything for your child. A single parent has to be mother and father. A single parent is the cook, the maid, the gardener, the chauffer, the homework help, the decorator, the book reader, the teacher, the friend. There's no one to share all of that with. It all falls on your shoulders and you have to find a way to cope. (via)
 
And I think I've done a fairly good job so far. My house may not always be the cleanest, and the laundry may not always make it into the drawers right away, and sometimes dinner is a Chef Boyardee microwaveable meal, but I do the best that I can with the time that I have. I would rather spend as much of my time with KBug as I possibly can. The dishes can wait. A chapter of reading can wait ten minutes.
 
There is no reason to rush through life. Especially as a single parent, I feel that I should do everything I can to make the most of my time with KBug because I always do have something else I need to do. So taking that fifteen minutes with her is so incredibly important- to me, to her and to our relationship. It only makes us stronger as a family. And I would do anything for her.
 
So I definitely think my ability to understand my struggles as a single parent is a strength, as well as knowing that I should make the best of the time that I have with my daughter. It's all important and makes a huge difference in our lives.
 
Now, areas I need to improve.... I wrote yesterday about beginning The Orange Rhino Challenge. I do my best not to yell, but maybe a challenge and the support the others taking this challenge will be just the motivation I need to really stick to it. We'll have to wait and see!

Another area I am sorely lacking in? Maintaining a clean home and consistent organization. I have a tendency to do a huge cleaning event that takes several days and then I keep it up for about a week. And then it all goes to heck until a few weeks later when I just can't stand it anymore. And by that point I decide that I may as well just reorganize. So the entire household is completely different by the end of the day and then no one knows where anything is or goes. Which means that everything ends up piled on the table or the kitchen counters or on the couch. There goes my clean and organized home! I need to work on focusing more on the cleaning part and not so much on the reorganization part.
 
I also need to work on finding the motivation to get through my schoolwork. I am so incredibly close to the end, but I find myself avoiding my work. I think it's largely because the textbook is ridiculously dull and I don't want to sit down and read it. But I know that I need to. Because I really need to just finish up my degree. And I am almost there, I've just got to get through these Marketing classes and I'll be good to go with just a few classes left! So why can't I seem to just sit down and force myself through? I'll have to think on that a bit more..... (via)
 
And there you have it. My Coffee and Conversation post for this week. I am so very excited for next weeks topic!
 
 
 
"What is the most valuable friendship you have in your life and what makes it so great?"
 
Honestly, I could probably spend a week on this one!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...