Image Map

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Updates [Challenges for Me]

Wow. It feels like it's been days since I wrote.... Oh wait, maybe that's because it has been!

Oops.....
 
Anyways. So I know I'm a day late because I had said in Challenges for Me that I was going to be writing about my fitness/Orange Rhino progress every Saturday, but I figure it's better late than never!
 
OK, here we go!
 
PJP and I started Insanity this week. I've done various workouts from this particular program before, but I hadn't really dedicated myself to starting and finishing the entire program. Until I purchased it. Which I did just a couple of weeks ago.
 
So PJP and I began with the Fit Test last Sunday. I won't post his reps on here, largely because he'd kill me, and because I don't feel like it would be my place to write about it. He has his fitness goals (well, actually I have fitness goals for him and he is working towards being on board with them...) and he's doing really well. I'm proud of him. But here are my Fit Test results.
 
The way the Fit Test works is you do each of the following moves as many times as you can for one minute. You have a one minute break in between movements.
 
1. Switch Kicks: 50 (right and left leg kick to equal 1 rep)
2. Power Jacks: 52
3. Power Knees: 75
4. Power Jumps: 28
5. Globe Jumps: 11 (4 jumps to form a square to equal 1 rep)
6. Suicide Jumps (burpees): 15
7. Push-up Jacks: 20
8. Low Plank Oblique: 45

Sorry they're sideways...
They aren't saved that way on the computer...

 















 

Overall, I'm very happy with my scores. When they were comparing the start levels of the individuals who were performing the Fit Test on the DVD with their end levels, I realized that I was actually pretty close to where they started out. So I have hope that by the end of this journey I'll still be keeping up!
 
PJP and I kept it up all week with the workouts we were supposed to do Monday-Friday. I think the hardest one for me was Pure Cardio. That one was basically nonstop cardio the entire time. It was crazy hard to keep up and I took a few more breaks than I would have liked. But, it was also encouraging to see the people on the DVD have to take breaks, too. I felt like I wasn't alone.

Looking awful after Insanity Day 3
Saturdays are going to be our rest days. Except my "rest day" leads me into the next part of my personal challenges. Most people would take a rest day to do just that. Rest. But me?
 
I ran a 5K.
 
Unfortunately that was the only time I ran this week, so I am 4 miles behind where I had hoped to be in my 30 miles in 30 days. But I plan to pick it back up along the way. I'll be putting in two miles today, to go along with my Insanity workout.
 
I really wish I had been able to get all of that in, but I was just so busy this week. And majorly stressing over a huge exam. In the end, I really didn't need to stress as much as I did because I passed with flying colors. But you live and learn, and hindsight is almost always 20/20.
 
Let me talk about this 5K, though. I was really excited on Friday night to discover that an old friend of mine was going to be running it, too! She had been in the Glow Run but I didn't know it until the results came out and I came across her name. And that got us talking a bit again, but not much. It was really awesome to see her and start the race with her, though!
 
So I got there at 8am to pick up my packet without waiting in a crazy long line. And then I hot-footed it back to my car because it was seriously cold outside. And it was raining, too. I was not expecting to have to run in the cold and in the rain at the end of April. Seriously, what's up with that?!
 
A little while later my friend texted me and we met up and hung out until the race started. Basically we stood there shivering and wondering how we were going to make it through these 3.1 miles. And then it was go time! We headed towards the start line, and waited. They yelled "Go!" We were off!
 
We ran together for a little while before I pulled ahead. I was hoping to beat my previous time of 31:18. I got through mile one just fine, but I'm still falling apart in mile two. I honestly have no idea what it is. But it's frustrating! I'm definitely going to have to spend some time running just two miles to get me through all the way. I didn't walk much, though, still only about a quarter mile, just like the Glow Run. So at least I'm not getting worse!
 
Then I hit mile 3 and just knew I had to get moving! And mile 3 was actually easier than mile 1, which I think is awesome! Towards the end of the race, GMa was able to snap a picture of me!
 
Sorry it's a bit blurry.... Her phone doesn't take the best pictures, and I cropped it...
After I finished and they announced my time, I grabbed a bottle of water and headed back out onto the course. I wanted to help my friend finish it out strong! I hooked up with her at about a quarter mile to the finish line and we picked it up and got across that finish line.
 
Again, sorry about the picture quality...
I was really excited for her because she beat her last 5K time! It was awesome to see how happy she was!
 
I didn't quite beat my 5K time. I came in at 31:53. But I'm okay with it because I ran in the cold and the rain (which I really don't like), without running for two weeks, and after completing an entire week of Insanity. I'm feeling really good about my time! And there will always be a next time and I can work towards improving my endurance and getting stronger!
 
After the race, checking in with KBug and noticing the Cheetos bag in her hand at 10am.... Hmmmm...
 
Post-race picture!
Time of 31:53
4-20-2013
Speaking of KBug.... That brings me to The Orange Rhino Challenge. When I wrote about this challenge, I had stated that my goal was to go 30 days without yelling. That 30 day mark would be May 14th.
 
At this point, I will hit the 30 day mark on May 17th...
 
KBug and I had a very rough middle of the week this week, and it is entirely my fault. The stress I was feeling because of the marketing exam was completely overwhelming and pouring out over in to her. Because of that, she was acting out in an effort to relieve some of the tension she was experiencing. However I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late, and I'd already raised my voice to her.
 
I felt awful about it afterwards, and we had several long talks about it. I apologized for being so frustrated with myself and taking it out on her and she apologized for acting out. It wasn't an easy conversation, but since Wednesday night, we've been just fine. I haven't yelled, she hasn't acted out. And I think it has everything to do with my stress level. Once I passed that test, I was good to go. And I'm not nearly as stressed over my next couple of upcoming classes. They should be super easy!
 
So I'm now in the middle of Day 4 of The Orange Rhino Challenge, and hoping that I don't have anymore setbacks. I'm really looking forward to finishing this challenge and then adding additional time. I want to see how long we can make it and how much it changes my relationship with KBug.
 
And that's all the updates I have at the moment. Now it's time for me to lock myself up and get going on writing a marketing plan for my next class. I'm hoping I can have it completed and submitted quickly so that I can get at least one more class in this term. Possibly two?
 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. seems like you're in pretty good shape right now
    i did insanity last summer with my hub and alllmost finished it haha
    it's tough but i always felt great after a hard work out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed, no way could I do insanity or run a 5k right now I am way more out of shape then I would like to be, You have inspired me to get off my rear and get back in shape
    http://mommysrambles.blogspot.com/2013/04/today-i-cried.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much for following my blog! :) I am now a follower over here-yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I wish I could do the insanity. I have a cousin who goes to every run there is and runs daily near her house and back and does insanity. She's lost like 90 lbs and still has a few more to go. She looks great. She's came along way. good luck on the other stuff you have to do. Did I miss a post on how a success Kbugs party went or am I ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...