Image Map

Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Did It!

I feel like I can finally breathe again. It's amazing how much stress one person can carry without realizing it. And it's especially amazing when that person is me and I finally figure it out once the stressor is removed.

Those of you who read My Test Anxiety and KBug Do Not Mix last night know that I had a huge exam for my Marketing course today. You also know about my test anxiety, the additional stress from my mentor and how I realized it was affecting KBug.

Well all of that is in the past.

I passed my test!

 
The way my school works is they give you a cut score, which is a minimum score in order to receive a passing grade. Western Governors University uses the modified Angoff procedure to determine it's cut scores. Basically a group of content experts examine the questions on the test and judge the difficulty of the questions based on how a sample group of 100 students would perform. They then determine the average difficulty rating and use that rating to set a cut score. So for an easier exam, the cut score could be above 80%. But for more difficult exams it is set lower, typically between 50-70%.
 
This particular exam had a cut score of 69%, so it was considered to be a more difficult test. My mentor explained to me that it is more difficult because while the pre-assessment grades your knowledge of a particular concept, the final rates your knowledge of application of those concepts. So the students have to be able to take what they have learned and apply it to real-world situations that marketers could encounter.
 
Again, why have a pre-assessment that doesn't give an accurate vision of what the actual test will be like?
 
Anyways. So, with a cut score of 69%, I was pretty nervous. I took the pre-assessment almost a year ago when I began my Human Resources program and came out with a 60%. Honestly, I was extremely happy with that score until I got to the actual course of study and realized just how intense it actually was. And then to add my mentor on top of that.... Whoa. Slow down. Let's breathe a minute.
 
I spent a few weeks studying and preparing, reading chapter upon chapter in the text book, listening to recorded lectures, watching PowerPoint presentations, and studying the flashcards. And even after all of that, I still wasn't sure if I was ready.
 
HA!
I passed with an 89% today.
And I am so freaking proud of that!
*cue happy dance*
 
So that was my morning. After I took my exam (in 19 minutes, which kind of freaked me out because I was allowed 90 minutes...) I checked my University login page for my score, saw that I passed and burst into tears. It was such a HUGE emotional release for me and it feels great to not have this major stressor in my life anymore. Now that I've passed the assessment, I feel reasonably confident that I will have no problems writing and passing the Marketing Plan for my next course. That's the plan for the weekend. It's time to get it done.
 
Oh, and I found time to start on and complete the first step for KBug's birthday party (you can take a look at all of the party plans here). I know we purchased invitations, but there just wasn't enough space to write all of the necessary information (and who wants to handwrite it all 8 times anyways!?). So I decided to make them instead. They're going out today! Take a look.
 
 
 
Happy Thursday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you passed hun. I know you're overly jumping with excitement and relief. The invitation looks like a success. Will there be owl cake? Hope they have a blast. I'm sure they will. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for passing the test!! I remember how nervous I always was when the grades were about to be posted. I remember one time I checked and had a "D" posted, with a comment from the teacher something along the line of "good work". Serious confusion and shock about the "D", which ended up to be a grading mistake from the teacher, who used a 150 pt. grading base for a 100pt test.

    Oh, and I love the theme for KBug's party. I may steal it for Lily's sleep-over party next year, should I actually decide to be crazy enough to do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on passing your test. It is always a relief when you have finished your studies and passed your exams.

    New Follower from blog hop.


    Praying for those in Boston, and West, TX

    Handmade at Warratahstree

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now that you've read my thoughts, why don't you leave yours?

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...